- By: outrageousrugs" >outrageousrugs
- Tags: homemade rug cleaner, rug cleaning, rug cleaning at home
- Category: Blog
- 0 comment
Owning a rug may work wonders in the style of your home, but it’s important to know how to maintain it. You need to clean the rug regularly, and even send it to a professional rug cleaning company. We at Outrageous rugs have also featured several tips on cleaning a rug by yourself.
Here’s another great tip that you can use to save money on rug cleaning. Check out this video that teaches you how to make your own carpet cleaning solution!
Of course, it’s still better to send your dirty rug to a professional cleaning service. However, if you’re pressed for time or unable to pay for cleaning fees, this neat trick just might help you.
What I have here in front of me are three common yet powerful products that most people have in their home:
- Vinegar, one of the most versatile items in your kitchen cupboard. If you have a bottle of vinegar at home, you won’t need to buy a chrome cleaner, a shower door cleaner, even a toilet bowl cleaner… not to mention a host of other clever uses too numerous to mention.
- Household ammonia, one of the most effective cleaners around, from making your oven cleaning a snap to removing burned-on buildup from your barbecue grill to non-streak window cleaning. If you can deal with its strong smell, it’s a good friend to have around.
- And last but not least, ordinary dish soap, a product that most people think is just for washing dishes. Oh no! Just as its lathering and grease-cutting ability, cleans dirt off dishes, that same lather when it’s combined with toothpaste can remove strong fish odor from your hands instantly. And when it’s added to household bleach, it’ll make cleaning those grimy white patio chairs a breeze. But when it’s combined with these two items is when it really shines… no pun intended.
A combination of these three products — white vinegar, household ammonia, and dish soap — produces one of the most amazing homemade carpet cleaners I have ever seen.
Here’s the recipe:
- Pour 3 tablespoons of dish soap into a container, like so, approximately.
- Then, add about a teaspoon of white vinegar, like so.
- Then, pour in about a half teaspoon of household ammonia, like so. It’s best to do this part in a well-ventilated area because the ammonia smell can be quite overwhelming. But believe me, it’s well worth any short discomfort.
- Once you’ve done that, you then add about three quarters of a cup of water, like that.
- And then, you mix it up and decant it into a clean foamer container like this one. Now, I find this container so useful. You can find them in many stores and most pharmacies. They hold a variety of products that need to be dispensed in a foam. My wife Rosemary gets her face wash in these, actually. As an alternative, you can simply beat the mixture into a lather with an egg beater and then get the foam that way. I just find this a lot easier. And this is one that I have already filled.
So, let’s get to work, shall we?
Now, look how this firm foamer instantly creates its foam. I just love it. Watch this get it out. All we do is we apply the foam to the carpet, just like I’m doing to this filthy rug here. Okay, now watch this. We then take a sponge, okay? And we rub the rug a little, like so. And look at this. Isn’t this amazing? Look how (it) literally lifts the dirt right out. And by the way, you can also use this recipe on your upholstery. But remember to just use the foam, not the liquid.
So now you know how to do it. Go make some for yourself, and join in the fun!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.